Homework Study Tips
Homework is an important part of your time on your course. It helps you to learn the things you need to remember in the examination and develop the relevant skills you will be marked on. Here are some tips to help you to use your homework time wisely.
- Write down your assignments and homework for each subject in a notebook. This will help you to keep track of each piece of work’s deadline and to plan sufficient time to complete the work.
- Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to complete your assignments. A last minute rush to finish will not produce your best work.
- Find a quiet and uncluttered place to study in. You should be seated comfortably, in a well lit area, away from other distractions. You should have a solid, flat surface to write on and all the things you need to do your homework to hand (e.g. books, pens, paper, a computer if necessary, equipment etc).
- Take a few minutes at the beginning of each period of study to plan what you want to achieve. Make a list of what you want to do in the time you have available. Break down large tasks into smaller ones which are easier to manage.
- Try to study at regular intervals. If you can keep to the same time each day, this will help you to fit your homework in to your routine.
- Take short breaks during your study time. It is important not to become overtired if you want to gain good marks.
- Do not work too late; plenty of sleep is important if you want to do well in your course.
- At the end of each study session, make a list of what you have achieved.
- Do your best to finish your homework on time. This will make it easier
to keep up with your studies and leave you free time in which to relax.